Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sean Avery not a complete jerk

As much as I dislike Sean Avery, he actually surprised me this weekend when veered away from his usual scumbagness. Last Thursday during an interview with the Toronto Sun Avery declared he would stand up for anyone openly gay hockey player.

Per the Toronto Sun: "If there's a kid in Canada or wherever, who is playing and really loves the game and wants to keep playing but he's worried about coming out, I'd tell him to pick up the phone and call (NHLPA executive director) Donald Fehr and tell him to book me a (plane) ticket.
"I'll stand beside him in the dressing room while he tells his teammates he is gay. Maybe if Sean Avery is there, they would have less of a problem with it."

Avery went on to say later that he believed that there are probably a few gay players in the NHL but are too afraid to come out.

As an avid Avery hater I have to say that Avery's words are a welcomed change of pace in the NHL. The league has been one of the most progressive when it comes to accepting homosexuality and Avery's words are another step in the right direction.

Avery has gone up a notch in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment